Home Lao Chinese

20 houses destroyed by fire in Attapeu

Twenty wooden houses and eight rice houses in Dakyok village of Sanxay district of Attapeu province were destroyed by a fire last week, resulting in losses of more than 200 million kip.
The Deputy Head of the Public Security office of Sanxay district, Lieutenant Colonel Phoumy Keobualapha, told Vientiane Times that the fire broke out at 7.30 pm on March 22.
No one was injured by the blaze. Sanxay district authorities and officials investigating the incident believe it was started by a forest fire. He said the buildings affected by the blaze were mostly made of wood.
Twenty families lost their homes, equipment and other assets. They are now living at the homes of their relatives.
He said the victims were in need of food, rice, water, clothes and alternative accommodation. Provincial authorities led by the Governor, Mr Let Xayaphone, and district authorities have already provided cash and relief supplies worth a total of 87 million kip to the affected families.
The private sector has also provided essential items to the victims, especially noddle, zinc and rice, but families still need more supplies, especially reconstruction equipment. Anyone interested in helping or providing equipment for reconstruction or any other items should call 020 972 43468 (Lieutenant Colonel Phoumy).
A total of 197 fires that resulted in damage estimated at more than 44 billion kip were reported across the country in 2019, and there were three deaths in these incidents, according to the Fire Prevention and Protection Police Department under the Ministry of Public Security.
The department said 240 houses were destroyed, along with 11 warehouses, 25 shops, a market, two apartment buildings, and two temples. Other items were also damaged or destroyed.
Sixty-four of the fires were caused by electrical faults, 12 by arson, 72 by lighted candles, 26 by accidents in the kitchen and 22 by the burning of waste. The department advised people to check that electrical appliances are turned off before they leave home, to take care when burning garden waste, and not to let children play with fire.
The department also repeated its warning for people to guard against accidental fires, not to take risks with electrical wiring or appliances, and not to leave burning candles unattended.

By Phomphong Laoin
(Latest Update March 31, 2020)


Newspaper Subscription l Newspaper Advertisement l Online Advertisement l Online Subscription

Vientiane Times Phonpapao Village, Unit 32, Sisattanak District, P.O.Box: 5723 Vientiane, Lao PDR
Tel: (856-21) 336042, 336048, Fax: (856-21) 336041

Email:
[email protected]
Copyright © 1999 Vientiane Times.