Web Service
About us
Audio/ Video news
Constitution
E-Newspaper(PDF)
Subscribe now !
Newspaper
E-papers
Advertisement
Contact
Editor
Webmaster
Online Sub
Online Adv

Home

Govt provides more scholarships to encourage university attendance

More than 2,000 students are expected to receive government scholarships for bachelor degrees at Lao universities, as part of efforts to give more young people a university education.
This was the message from the annual meeting for higher education, which took place at Champassak University last week.
Director General of the Higher Education Department, Ministry of Education and Sports, Assoc. Prof. Dr Saykhong Saynasine, said the ministry would create more opportunities for further education this year by providing more scholarships for outstanding students, women, and those who lacked opportunities to pursue a higher education.
Assoc. Prof. Dr Saykhong said 20 percent of the currently enrolled 11,496 university students would receive government scholarships in 2018, with the remaining 80 percent required to pay their own way.
The 2,000 or so scholarship recipients will receive help with tuition and other fees while taking bachelor degrees at the National University of Laos in Vientiane, Souphanouvong University in Luang Prabang province, Champassak University in Champassak province, and Savannakhet University in Savannakhet province.
They will first have to undergo screening by the scholarship organising committee before receiving the scholarships.
“The scholarship organising committee will allocate fields of study in line with the needs of the job market, and will provide support for outstanding students, women, and people who are disadvantaged in terms of educational opportunities,” Assoc. Prof. Dr Saykhong told Vientiane Times.
The Ministry of Education and Sports is encouraging students to take courses in science and agriculture, so that these fields can be strengthened for the benefit of social and economic development.
The ministry will also encourage more people to enrol in vocational programmes around the country and plans to open up more training opportunities for women and girls, ethnic groups, and people in rural areas.
During the meeting in Champassak province, the Higher Education Department indicated it would develop curriculums to meet national standards and include more practical work to ensure better quality teaching and learning at higher education institutions.
In 2017, more than 79,000 students attended courses at 80 state and private higher education institutions across the country.
More than 32,000 students were enrolled in courses at the National University of Laos, Souphanouvong University, Champassak University, and Savannakhet University.
Before the annual meeting, the Ministry of Education and Sports advised Champassak University to improve its agriculture curriculum.
The ministry said improvements would encourage more students to take up courses in agriculture. This is a crucial area that needs to be strengthened in the pursuit of social and economic development.


By Times Reporters
(Latest Update
March 8,
2018)


Newspaper Subscription l Newspaper Advertisement l Online Advertisement l Online Subscription

Vientiane Times Phonpapao Village, Unit 32, Sisattanak District, P.O.Box: 5723 Vientiane, Lao PDR
Tel: (856-21) 336042, 336048, Fax: (856-21) 336041

Email:
info@vientianetimes.la
Copyright © 1999 Vientiane Times.