Web Service
About us
Audio/ Video news
Constitution
E-Newspaper(PDF)
Subscribe now !
Newspaper
E-papers
Advertisement
Contact
Editor
Webmaster
Online Sub
Online Adv

Home

Luxembourg gives funding boost to improve maternal and infant health

Activities to lower child and maternal mortality rates under the Joint Participatory Mechanism (JPM) for 2019 will use a budget of just over 11 billion kip (EUR 1.1 million), it was reported at a workshop held in Vientiane yesterday.
The budget for 2019 will be used by the health sector in Borikhamxay, Khammuan and Vientiane provinces, with 80 percent provided as a grant from the government of Luxembourg and the remaining 20 percent to come from the Lao government.

The meeting was a platform for authorities from these provinces to develop detailed proposal themes, main activities, and a detailed budget, which will serve as a framework to complete the required JPM 2019 proposal and budget template for submission to the JPM National Council.
The activities planned for these three provinces include improving the quality of  reproductive health services to reduce child and maternal mortality.
Additional projects include the immunisation of 90 percent of all infants under the age of 12 months, more follow up on the diagnosis of diseases and treatment at hospitals in rural areas, vaccination of mothers and children, and follow up on the growth of children under the age of five.
Government officials and representatives of Project Lao/027, WHO and UNICEF also discussed the implementation of current activities and plans for 2019.
Deputy Director General of the Planning and International Cooperation Department, Ministry of Health, Dr Phasouk Vongvichit, who chaired the meeting, said the event was important because participants would review the work done to improve the health of mothers and children and nutrition, and would share ideas about plans for 2019, with the aim of achieving greater success. The Joint Participatory Mechanism, led by the JPM National Council, is a financing mechanism of the Ministry of Health to allocate funds for maternal and child health services in the provinces of Borikhamxay, Khammuan and Vientiane each calendar year. 
JPM multiplier financing for 2018 JPM activities has recently been transferred to the three provinces as each of them has achieved the main triggers for the release of funds.
To prepare for JPM activities in 2019, a two-day planning and budgeting meeting is being held with provincial authorities and the JPM Secretariat.

By Times Reporters
(Latest Update
March 6,
2018)


Newspaper Subscription l Newspaper Advertisement l Online Advertisement l Online Subscription

Vientiane Times Phonpapao Village, Unit 32, Sisattanak District, P.O.Box: 5723 Vientiane, Lao PDR
Tel: (856-21) 336042, 336048, Fax: (856-21) 336041

Email:
info@vientianetimes.la
Copyright © 1999 Vientiane Times.