Three injured in Oudomxay multiple house fire
Three people sustained injuries after 27 houses in Donkham village, Houn district, Oudomxay province were engulfed in flames on Saturday, with the fire thought to have been started by an electrical short circuit.
The Head of Oudomxay provincial Public Security Headquarters, Colonel Nilavong Cheuangtavalath told Vientiane Times yesterday the fire occurred at 2:00 pm on Saturday, leaving 27 houses destroyed by the fire and three local community members sustaining injures.
Houn district authorities and officials investigating the fire thought that the fire had been started by an electrical short circuit. Colonel Nilavong said the buildings were mostly made of wood and that during the fire, the fire control police and fire trucks were unable to spray water onto the homes directly because the road into the area is too small.
The assets recorded as damaged included six motorbikes, six pigs and many other personal items.
Police and authorities have noted that the fire has resulted in losses of over two billion kip.
27 families have lost their homes, including their appliances, and various other assets. Donkham village makes up over 200 households with the majority of the villagers being ethnic Khmu. Houn District Governor Mr Bounkhong Lachiemphone said that currently the victim families were in need of more food, water, clothes and alternative accommodations as Oudomxay is experiencing cold winter weather. Anyone interested in helping or providing blankets, warm clothing, equipment for reconstruction or any other items is invited to call the district office: 081 212 290.
Another incident occurred on February 10, when the International Building of Mahosot Hospital in Sikhottabong district, Vientiane burned down. Hospital officials were taking patients out so fortunately no one had been injured or killed.
Many medicinal instruments and the building itself were moderately damaged.
And again the following day, a wooden house in Thangkhong village, Pakngum district, Vientiane was engulfed in flames with the fire destroying the home.
Police and other authorities are currently investigating the causes of both incidents and assessing the cost of damages.
According to the Fire Prevention and Protection Police Department of the Ministry of Public Security, 140 fires were reported around the country in 2016, killing one person, injuring two others and causing over 115 billion kip in damages.
The department said 188 houses burned down, along with a market, an apartment building, 30 shops, three school buildings, four warehouses, two petrol stations, one furniture shop and five monks' living quarters.
Seven cars and six motorbikes were among the many items damaged or destroyed.
Sixty-three of the fires were caused by electrical short circuits, another five by arson, 48 through carelessness or forgetfulness, and four due to technical error. Another 20 of these fires are still under investigation.
Fire officials want to remind the public that a fire can occur at any time and can be caused by electrical faults, lit candles, failure to check electrical devices and appliances before leaving home, burning garbage, or children being left unattended in the home. The department advised the public to check electrical devices before leaving home, to take care when burning rubbish and not to let children play with fire. The department also repeated its warning for people to be on their guard against accidental fires and not to take risks with electrical wiring or appliances, or to leave burning candles unattended.
By Times Reporters
(Latest Update February 14, 2017)