Home Lao

Covid numbers dip as Vientiane reports only three new cases

A third person in Laos has died from Covid-19 because he failed to seek medical attention promptly and was admitted to hospital too late, the National Taskforce for Covid-19 Prevention and Control said on Sunday.
The death of the 74-year-old man last week sparked further alarm about the virus and is prompting authorities to intensify their battle against the deadly disease.
The man who died came from Fai village in Sisattanak district, Vientiane, and passed away in Mittaphab Hospital on Thursday.
He was originally admitted to Mahosot Hospital on May 11 with breathing difficulties and tested positive for Covid-19. He was transferred to Mittaphab Hospital where he remained until May 27, but doctors could not save him as his condition was exacerbated by underlying health problems.
The total number of cases in Laos now stands at 1,911 after three new Covid cases were reported on Sunday, according to Deputy Director General of the Ministry of Health’s Department of Healthcare and Rehabilitation, Dr Bouathep Phoumin.
Speaking at a press conference on Sunday, Dr Bouathep, said that all three of the new Covid cases were recorded in Vientiane and the individuals in question had come into contact with other infected persons.
Dr Bouathep said one of the three latest people to pick up the virus had come into contact with an infected person at the Ministry of Public Works and Transport. The second case occurred in a staff dormitory at the National University of Laos in Tanmixay village, Xaythany district, and the third case was confirmed in Phonpapao village, Sisattanak district.
Health officials are now tracing these people’s contacts in the hope of identifying others who may be infected.
Three more cases were also reported on Saturday, with one being in Vientiane, one in Champassak province, and one in Savannakhet province.
Another 10 people tested positive for the virus on Friday. Seven of the new cases occurred in Vientiane, while Luang Namtha recorded one new case, Champassak recorded one imported case, and Savannakhet also recorded one imported case.
Although the number of new cases continues to fall, the government is reinforcing measures to contain the outbreak in Vientiane and some fresh markets have been closed so they can be disinfected to prevent the spread of the virus, the Vientiane Industry and Commerce Department reported.
Eight other fresh markets others are being closely watched after authorities discovered that an infected person visited them before testing positive for Covid.
These are Nonekhor and  Huakhua markets in Xaysettha district, Thongpong and Osy markets in Sikhottabong, and Phontongsavang, Phontongchompany and Sivilay markets in Xaythany district.
Vientiane authorities have instructed market managers to check shoppers’ temperature, require people to wear a face mask, provide hand sanitiser, and follow the social distancing rules.

 

By Phetphoxay Sengpaseuth
(Latest Update
May 31,
2021)

 

 


Newspaper Subscription Prices l Newspaper Advertisement Prices l Online Advertisement Prices l Online Subscription Prices

Vientiane Times Phonpapao Village, Unit 32, Sisattanak District, P.O.Box: 5723 Vientiane, Lao PDR
Tel: (856-21) 336042, 336048, Fax: (856-21) 336041

Email:
[email protected]
Copyright © 1999 Vientiane Times.