Web Service
About us
Audio/ Video news
Constitution
E-Newspaper(PDF)
Subscribe now !
Newspaper
E-papers
Advertisement
Contact
Editor
Webmaster
Online Sub
Online Adv

 

 


Home Lao

Wuhan ‘on the rise’ a year after lockdown was lifted

WUHAN (China Daily/ANN) -- One year after a lockdown was lifted, Wuhan, capital of Hubei province, the city hardest hit by COVID-19 on the Chinese mainland, has recovered from the outbreak and is developing at an even more rapid pace than before, experts and local residents said.

Visitors attend a photo exhibition marking the victory of Wuhan and Hubei over the coronavirus along the same section of the street on Sunday.                               --Photo Zhou Guoqiang

On April 8 last year, the city reopened after a 76-day lockdown brought on by the COVID-19 outbreak. It has reported no local COVID-19 cases for more than 10 months, since May 18.
Mass vaccination of Wuhan residents was launched in December to further strengthen the safety and health of the people. As of Tuesday, 3.7 million vaccine doses had been given, according to the city’s health commission.
Vaccination of people over age 60 and in good health has started. Vaccinating people under 18 will be carried out in stages, the commission said.
“Now our city is a healthy, happy one that is on the rise,” Liu Huihao, a professor at Zhongnan University of Economics and Law, told Changjiang Daily, a newspaper in Wuhan.
When President Xi Jinping made an inspection tour of Wuhan on March 10 last year, he said the heroic people of the heroic city would definitely defeat COVID-19, rise from the ashes and make more glorious achievements in a new era.
Bearing Xi’s remarks in mind, the people of Wuhan not only beat COVID-19 but also brought changes to the city after its full recovery from the outbreak.
One example is the ongoing construction of a national medical centre for major public health incidents at Tongji Hospital, which is affiliated with the Tongji Medical College of Huazhong University of Science and Technology.
Construction started in July on the center, which covers 105,000 square metres and is meant to improve the city’s ability to deal with medical emergencies such as infectious diseases.
The centre is expected to be completed in June 2022, when it will become the country’s sixth national medical center and the first outside Beijing or Shanghai.
Six provincial-level pandemic treatment centres also are being built around Hubei, including three in Wuhan.
The centers are designed to ensure quick control of any contagion and timely treatment of infectious diseases both on a day-to-day basis and during outbreaks, according to a plan announced last year by the Hubei provincial committee of the Communist Party of China.
The move is part of Hubei’s efforts to implement reforms in disease control and prevention.
The centers will be responsible for reacting quickly to outbreaks, having adequate medical supplies and saving critically ill patients, so that successful treatment can be increased and death rates lowered, the plan said.


 

(Latest Update April 9, 2021)


Newspaper Subscription Prices l Newspaper Advertisement Prices l Online Advertisement Prices l Online Subscription Prices

Vientiane Times Phonpapao Village, Unit 32, Sisattanak District, P.O.Box: 5723 Vientiane, Lao PDR
Tel: (856-21) 336042, 336048, Fax: (856-21) 336041

Email:
[email protected]
Copyright © 1999 Vientiane Times.